This term, coined by Dr. Woodie Flowers, shows that FIRST teams are competitive and strive to win, but respect their competitors in the process. You should not throw or cheat in a match or fake being happy for the winners, but instead play fairly and be kind whether you win or lose.
Coopertition is a combination of cooperation and competition. Similarly to Gracious Professionalism, this philosophy encourages teams to help others in the midst of competition. You should always try your best to win, but you should also assist others whenever possible.
FIRST teams express the philosophies of Gracious Professionalism and Coopertition through these Core Values:
- Discovery – Exploring new skills and ideas
- Innovation – Using creativity and persistence to solve problems
- Impact – Applying our skills to improve our world
- Inclusion – Accepting everyone and embracing differences
- Teamwork – Working cooperatively to reach new heights
- Fun – Enjoying and celebrating what we do
Our team strives to embody these philosophies and values throughout the season. Every year, we build a practice field and invite local teams to play with us. This allows our team to practice driving and get a better feel for the game while providing the opportunity to connect with other teams and let them do the same. Additionally, we send out a “Robo Rescue” team at competitions to assist other teams facing mechanical issues.